Saturday, January 21, 2006

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was just making Chocolate Chip cookies today and got to thinking about my "history" with them. My Mom taught me early how to cook and how to make them. I started out with the basic Toll House recipe and have tried different ways to change it over the years.

In High School on "party" days I was always asked to bring them and was gauranteed "friends" on those days.When my Uncles would come to visit the first thing they would ask for was cookies. If there wern't any I would make them quick! CC cookies caught the attention of my first real boyfriend in college. I made them for an assignment and ended up making them for him many times in our year of dating.

When I was dating my husband and first met future in-laws I gave them a gift of cookies. I now make them for my husband and kids almost every weekend. Its tradition! Ha!

When we lived in military housing in Virginia it was customary to greet newcomers to the neighborhood with food. Everyone knew not to make cookies because they had dubbed it to be my job. Our close friends across the street knew on baking days they would get a plate of them . ( this kept us from eating too much at our house) If word got out I was making cookies one of the neighbors would usually be at the door asking for one. One neighbor even sent her cute twin boys over once and they said," my Mom wants a cookie"! That neighborhood was a very special place to live!

Anyway these cookies have helped to cultivate friendships over the years. I love making them and don't think they are really that special, but it has been fun! I thought I would share my current recipe. Enjoy!!


In a small bowl mix: 3 cups Flour, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. baking soda, mix well and set aside.

In a large bowl mix: 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup butter flavor crisco, 3/4 cup DARK brown sugar, 3/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla. After that is mixed well add 2 eggs and turn up the speed of the mixer as high as you can. Beat the eggs well for about a minute and then mix in with the rest of the mixture. After all that is mixed well add the flour mixture. Then add one or all of these "mix-in" suggestions. 1/2 cup pecans, 1/2 chunk chocolate chips, 1/2 cup M&M's

Spoon onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 min. ,until they are just turing "golden" (depending on your oven)

I'am very picky about how my cookies look. I like them soft and not crunchy. Anyway enjoy!

2 comments:

Martini Moon said...

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I think it is very special that you make friends with chocolate Chip Cookies. When i have found a wife we can also make chocolate cookies to share with awesome new friends!

Kind regards,
Martijn Fransen

http://gossiptalks.blogspot.com/

McMom said...

You are welcome!