Friday, January 13, 2006

Choir

Wednesday night I went to choir at Church. I love choir! We go to a large Chuch and the choir is as big as one of our former Churches. It is kind of a Church within a Church. Anyway I had a great time, learning new music. Music and singing has always been my favorite form of worship.

I got to thinking about why and I think it goes back to when I was young ,like 8 or 9, and my brother and I used to sing and dance around while my Moms Praise albums played. I think she had 2nd Chapter of Acts too. I can't remember them all but it was when contemporary Christian was just beginning. Like 1974or 75. Anyway it was playing alot in our house and at Church and I loved it.

In 1978 we moved to Oregon from California and starting attending a Independent Baptist Chuch (IBC) and suddenly our music was bad and "ungodly". My "friends" couldn't come to my house to play because they might be exposed to my music. I had John Denver and Debbie Boone too. I was invited to their house sometimes and exposed to "good" music, but my house was taboo. I didn't really understand it, but I liked their music too. We were not at that Church very long because we only lived in Oregon for about 6 or7 months.

We moved from Oregon to Idaho, to our family ranch. My Dad commuted from Oregon on the weekends for a few months. He was finishing up his time in the Navy. We lived in a trailer at first while our house was being built. We even lived in a cabin on our property for awhile, with no running water and a wood stove for heat. And we had our music back. The three years we lived in Idaho, before moving yet again, were very special. We lived simply in the country. We went to "town" once a week, we hauled our water and went to a wonderful ,simple country Church.

In 1980 my Dad retired out of the mitlitary. Two years later he wanted to go to Bible college in Oklahoma City OK. He chose OK because my Grandmother was there living alone in a 4 bedroom house and needed someone to be with her. The college he chose was a IB College and Church , stricter than even the Church in Oregon. Anyway our music was again taboo, and to make a long story shorter I was limited in what I could listen to until I moved away from home and then married my husband. At that time he listened to Amy Grant, DeGarmo and Key and Twila Paris.

Whenever I talk about my parents please know that they were and are wonderful!! They were only doing what they were told was better for us. The people that told them that were mistaken. Music did not stop being inspired when the hymns were finished being written! I love the hymns, but there is some wonderful contemporary Christain music out there that cuts deep into the soul and it is lively and fun.

Well thats enough about that. Choir just got me thinking about it. We sing very lively music with a full orchestra and band. Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir is coming to our Church in a few weeks.
I can't go hear them though because it is on a school night and there are too many other things going on.

6 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi! I saw your post on Jennifer's site "Idle Rambling Thoughts" and thought I would stop by for a visit.

I love the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir! I only have one of their cd's but I love it...would love to be able to see them in person some time.

McMom said...

I'm a little bummed that I will not be able to see them when they come. Our Choir does a lot of their music. They will be doing music from their new CD that is coming out. I can't remember the name of it. Thanks for stopping by!

Seeker said...

Wow! I didn't know you guys were such heathens before coming to OKC!

Remember the college "professor" throwing the chalkboard eraser at your dad? It is amazing what he put up with! He is a great man.

McMom said...

Yeah! We were "heathens"! They also hit my Dad over the head with a hymn book for falling asleep! He was pretty mad! My Dad has severe sleep apnea and possibly narcolepsy. He most likely had the sleep apnea while in college too. I now have sleep apnea and I am younger than he was in college. I guess it runs in the family. My Dad is a great guy! An easy going guy too or he may have hit someone!

Jennifer said...

Hi! This is a great post. I grew up in the late 70s and 80s, when contemporary Christian music was getting big. The church I went to was vehemently opposed to all of it, and thought I was going to hell for listening to it. Haha! I love the fact that Amy Grant has recorded two albums of hymns now.

McMom said...

We have both of Amys new albums! they are my husbands favorites. They are so ralaxing and worshipful. Welcome Jennifer! I have really enjoyed reading your blog and you are in my prayers. I especially like The lap of God!