Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Insulin Resistance

Monday I went to see an Endocrinologist. He confirmed that the pituitary tumor is not returning. That is a blessing! I discussed with him my inability to loose weight, even with all the exercise I do. He is running some lab tests, but believes I have Insulin Resistance (IR), also called Metabolic Syndrome. I fit the profile,( lower blood sugar, high blood pressure and high triglycerides), and what he said makes sense. IR leads to Type 2 diabetes and possible coronary problems. My Father has Type 2 diabetes. I wonder why a Dr. did not suggest this possibility sooner. I have been fighting my wt. for 5 yrs.

Anyway I have been researching it some and found some pretty good links.

http://syndromex.stanford.edu/InsulinResistance.htm

http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/irdiet.htm

I have been eating close to the way the diet tells you to eat, BUT I usually give myself a" free day" or have something sweet now and then. Doing that takes me back to "square one" again.
Until I get this reversed and loose some weight I can't indulge, even a little bit. This is going to take some work and discipline, but I have to do it! I want to be healthy and avoid some of the health issues my parents are dealing with.

The Dr. also asked what my life has been like the last few years-any stress?! When I told him about the 3 moves in the last year , major surgery and a husband headed for Iraq if he does not get a civilian job soon, he said my stress level is off the charts ! Stress raises cortisol levels and keeps you from loosing weight also.

In about 9 days my husband will know if he has a civilian job, back in Germany for 3-5 yrs, or if he is headed for Iraq the end of April, returning in July. If he gets the job in Germany he has to be there 15 May and the kids and I would go to him after school is out. I would "get " to handle all the moving details again!

My husband would be a GS employee working for the Army. He is an Air Force Reservist right now and has been on active duty since 7/01. Here is a link to where we would go.

http://www.grafenwoehr.army.mil/default.asp

I would appreciate your prayers as we navigate through all these possible changes! My husband hates making us move again!! It weighs heavy on him!! If he gets this job we would stay put for at least 4 yrs and he would be in the GS system and could transfer, back to the states, after that time. We would be back in Europe and would have all the support this time instead of on our own. Maybe I will get to see Scotland yet!

9 comments:

aola said...

Even though it would be a LOT of work.. how exciting! or is it still exciting for you?
I will be praying for the Germany option. No one should have to go to Iraq.

If you don't mind I am going to post your post on Finding Skinny so the girls can comment.

I will wait until you give the go ahead...

aola said...

" To maintain an appropriate weight, regulate caloric intake and maintain a physically active lifestyle"

They make it sound so easy, don't they?

McMom said...

It will be a lot of work, but I'am excited at the possibility of going back! We have to leave family again, but we do not see them very often now and we will help them get over there. We would like Germany over Iraq for obvious reasons!!

Go ahead and post it! Feel free the share anything I say. I am a open book!

I don't know how to add stuff to my blog, like a blog roll. I am still a little computer challenged.

They do make the diet stuff sound easy, but it will take a lot of discipline at first! I am willing and eager to do the work if I will finally get results!

Jennifer said...

McMom,

I’m so glad the tumor is not returning! I understand your frustration with eating right, exercising, and not losing weight. I have been there for a while. Stress is my middle name, which I know has a LOT to do with it! I will pray for your husband’s job situation. I know you would much rather have him in Germany than Iraq.

Keasty said...

Well things could be different for you in the neaR FUTURE. I'll pray for you guys and that He will take charge and watch over you... as He always does.
May you seek His will in your lives. God bless you.

McMom said...

Thank-you Jennifer and Keasty! We know God has a plan and it may be in Iraq! He has been so faithful ,in spite of ourselves, in the past! That makes it a bit easier to trust. It is still hard to truly "rest" sometimes when our future is uncertian. Hopefully later this week we will have some answers!

M. C. Pearson said...

Oh McMom, we have so much in common. I have hypo-glycemia, high-blood pressure, weight issue...ug. Dr's say I will most likely develop Diabetes like my mom. I just moved...understand the stress! Went to Bosnia and had to leave the hubby and kiddo at home then (can understand again!) Was engaged to hubby when he was stationed in Augsburg, Germany...know the pain. I'll be praying for you!!!

McMom said...

m.c., You probably have Insulin Resistance! You NEED to get the book The Insulin Resistance Diet, by Cheryle Hart, M.D.. I can hardly put it down! I just got it yesterday. I was talking to a friend at Church yesterday, while I was at Bible study, and she shared with me that she was recently diagnosed also and her Dr. recommended the book.

I think is is finally going to be my answer!

M. C. Pearson said...

I'll check it out!